This week we have guest blogger Ryza Jake and their Steamed Purple Sweet Potatoes.
Sweet potatoes are an absolute staple in my household as well as in the meal planning with my clients. They are high in vitamin A, vitamin C and manganese along with being a good source of copper, dietary fiber, vitamin B6, potassium and iron. Sweet potatoes are known to improve blood sugar regulation and some studies have discovered significant antibacterial and anti-fungal properties. Purple sweet potatoes are especially prized with high antioxidant levels.
The antioxidant known as anthocyanin is the pigment which is responsible for the brilliant purple color of the flesh. It is the same pigment that gives blueberries, red grapes and red cabbage their color. Blueberries are well known for their high antioxidant levels, however, the purple sweet potato actually has 150 percent more antioxidants than blueberries. Antioxidants help to guard against cardiovascular disease and cancer.
I always recommend antioxidant rich food with each meal so why not give this dish a try and give your tastebuds a treat!
Steamed Purple Sweet Potatoes
An antioxidant rich food with each meal so why not give this dish a try and give your tastebuds a treat!
Write a review
- 3 Purple Sweet Potatoes
- 6 Pitted Black Olives, sliced
- 1 Red Chili, diced
- 1 Green Chili, diced
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Relish
- 2 Tbsp Tahini Paste
- Hot Water
- Black Pepper to taste
- Salt to taste
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Walnuts, crushed
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Peanut Butter
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- Cinnamon to taste
- Steam sweet potatoes until fork tender. Once done, leave to cool slightly then slice in half, lengthwise.
- 2a. To make the tahini sauce, add a tiny bit of hot water to the tahini paste & mix. Repeat until the desired consistency is achieved.
- 3a. Season the sauce with salt & pepper to your liking.
- 4a. Top half of the sweet potatoes with the sweet relish, black olives & fresh chilies.
- 5a. Drizzle generously with the tahini sauce.
- 2b. Drizzle half of the sweet potatoes with maple syrup.
- 2c. Sprinkle with crushed walnuts & cinnamon powder.
- 3d. Drizzle generously with peanut butter.
The Young & The Healthy http://www.theyoungandthehealthy.com/
Periscope, Snapchat & Twitter: @RyzaJake
Tumblr & IG: @theveganmumnson
My Spreadshirt Shop: http://shop.spreadshirt.com/theveganmumnson/
Purple Sweet Potato Facts courtesy of Down to Earth